Terrazzo Repair Tips: How to Fix Small Damages
Terrazzo floors can readily add an elegant look to you home because of their beautiful designs and shiny surface. However, to be able to maintain the splendor of this floor, you have to make sure that you are cleaning them properly on a regular basis. And if your floors get scratched and stained, you need to have them fixed immediately. For shallow scratches and surface stains, you will need your own DIY Terrazzo repair kit.
What you will need in your kit are the following materials: a cleaner designed for Terrazzo floors which you can purchase on your local store. When buying the cleaner, make sure that you choose something that is pH neutral (something with pH levels of 7 to 10). Cleaners with higher pH levels can only cause further damage to the floors. You will also have to prepare two mops that are made of cotton as well as a floor stripper.
Step-by-step Terrazzo Repair Instructions
1. Sweep the floor in a thorough manner. Make sure that any loose dust and dirt has already been removed by your sweeping. Next, mix the cleaner and water by following the instructions that you can see on the packaging of the cleaner. Wet the mop with the mixture and begin mopping the entire Terrazzo floor with it. Let the mixture stay on the floor for a few minutes before mopping the floor again with a clean dry cotton mop. Repeat the process until the floor is totally dry.
2. Take off the sealant on the floor. Use the commercial stripper to remove any protective finishes that were applied on the floor’s surface. Use the stripper on a particular section of your floor first, then let it is stay there for awhile to allow the old sealant to dissolve. Next, wipe the section with a wet mop. Repeat the process until you have stripped all the sealant of your entire Terrazzo floor.
3. In case of small cracks, refer to your Terrazzo repair kit for instructions. Included in the kit are resins that you can use to fill up the cracks. A small syringe-like tool is also provided for you to use when applying the resins on the cracks. For bigger cracks, you can buy bigger repair kits. One thing you have to consider when purchasing repair kits is the color of your Terrazzo floor. If you can’t find a color that matches your floor, hire us at Terrazzo Cleaning Miami. We have all types of color available.
4. Use electric buffers to polish your Terrazzo floors. Use a lambswood pad when running the buffer. To achieve a regular finish and to avoid damage on the floor, keep the buffer moving at all times.
5. Finish your floor using polyurethane. This step is necessary so that your floors are protected from dust and any solid dirt. Use a paint roller made of lambswood to apply the polyurethane. When applying, make sure that you do them in one direction only.
6. Apply several coats of floor wax. Allow the previous coat of wax to dry up before applying the next coat. For more detailed instructions, check out the product label of the floor wax.
7. Finally, run the electric buffer over your Terrazzo floor one more time.
For more serious floor problems that can’t be fixed by DIY Terrazzo repair kits, contact usa at Terrazzo Cleaning Miami right away. We’ve been in this business for several years now. For a free estimate, Call us!
The Importance of Employing the Service Of Terrazzo Restoration Professionals
Many service companies are now offering various Terrazzo services such as installation, polishing, repair and restoration. However, when it comes to Terrazzo restoration you have to make sure that you only employ a company with extensive experience in this area. Restoration is something that needs in-depth knowledge of the different types of Terrazzo materials. The stone care specialist doing the restoration must also have the necessary equipment and materials at his disposal. Not all companies have all the criteria mentioned above, but Terrazzo Cleaning in Miami has them all.
A little Background of Terrazzo Floors
Terrazzo floors in the USA first became popular in the state of Florida between 1950 and 1970. But the origin of Terrazzo floors can actually be traced back as early as the 15th century. This particular style of flooring first existed in Venice when stone workers used the leftover marbles to pave the paths around the terraces of houses. The result was a beautiful mosaic-like marble pathway.
Today, Terrazzo is very popular because they are being used as floorings of both residential houses and commercial buildings. This type of flooring is so versatile that it can be used in any part of the house such as living rooms, bedrooms, bathrooms, Â kitchens and even on entryways and path ways. Terrazzo can also be used to design the walls of buildings
Why Many Homeowners Prefer Terrazzo Floors
Terrazzo floors are durable and beautiful at the same time, this is probably one of the main reasons why many homeowners have them installed. In fact, in houses with Terrazzo flooring, rugs are seldom used.
Another one reason for it popularity is its resiliency to molds and mildew growth. Unlike other flooring types, Terrazzo are not susceptible to bacteria growth thus they are safer. Also, Terrazzo floors do not easily absorb liquids and stains; so cleaning them becomes much easier. All you actually have to do is to wet a clean piece of cloth with water and then wipe the floor with it. Â You can additionally use clean damp mops if needed.
The Need for Terrazzo Restoration
However, if your Terrazzo floor has been around for years, you may need to have professional Terrazzo restoration done to them. Restoration is important because over time, old Terrazzo floors may start to show signs of cracking, chipping, staining or discoloration. These types of problems should not be fixed using DIY methods as manual cleaning by untrained individuals can only cause more damage to the floor. So if you see loose tiles, crack, chips or deep staining, contact a Terrazzo floor care specialist right away.
Who Should Do Your Terrazzo Restoration?
The smartest thing to do when faced with restoration issues is to contact a professional Terrazzo restoration service company nearest you. With that in mind, hop over to us at Terrazzo Cleaning in Miami and we will cater to all your needs. We have been in the Terrazzo floor care business for almost three decades now so we can guarantee you that we provide unparalleled Terrazzo restoration, installation and polishing.